Salad, Desserts, Tarts, Poached
Here are some quick and easy pear recipes, including a pear salad, pear tarts, and poached pears.
For best results, when using fresh pears in recipes, make sure you select fruit that is ripe, yet still firm. Pears quickly turn brown, so add them to your recipe immediately after peeling or slicing. You can keep peeled or sliced pears from turning brown by dropping them in a bowl of cold water with lemon juice added to it (4 cups of water to 1/4 cup lemon juice).
The wonderful combination of pears and chocolate make this very easy tart recipe a sure winner. By carefully arranging the pears you'll get a dessert attractive enough to serve company.Pear Tart with Frangipane
Frangipane is a yummy combination of ground almonds, sugar, and eggs. It makes the perfect foil for pears in this French tart recipe..Pear Salad Recipe
A powerful flavor combination of lightly browned pears, arugula, balsamic vinegar and Roquefort cheese makes this one of our favorite pear recipes. Delicious.Poached Pears
Poaching in red wine makes an elegant, yet very easy, pear dessert. Can be low calorie, but extra yummy with dairy toppings.
More Ways to Enjoy Pears
- Serve as is. Cut just before serving or sprinkle a little lemon juice on the slices to keep them from turning brown.
- Pears are delicious with cheese - try blue cheese to start with and than explore other taste combinations.
- One of the most famous French pear recipes, Poires Belle-Helene, can be made from pear halves canned in light syrup. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce for a quick, yummy treat.
- Pears are perfect fruits to add to savory dishes and salads. They go well with sweet onions and radishes and can be used to make chutney.
- In France some pears are cultivated to make poiré, which is similar to apple cider, and eau-de-vie (brandy).
Return to French Cooking Recipe Index.
Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.