Fried Cheese Recipe
This fried cheese recipe is a great way to use Brie, but you can use it with other cheeses. These easy appetizers are served with two succulent, but oh so easy, dipping sauces.
Try Different Cheeses
Do not hesitate to try this fried cheese recipe with other cheeses. It should work well with mozzarella, munster cheese, cheddar, or just about any sliceable cheese that melts well.
You can prepare the cheese appetizer cubes in advance, but you will need to fry them just before serving. This is the kind of easy appetizer recipe that tastes best hot and fresh off the fire. The sauces only take a few seconds, but you could prepare them in advance as well.
If you want to go the extra mile, use homemade bread crumbs for this appetizer - it will only taste all the better. Making your own bread crumbs is simple and a good way to make use of slightly stale bread.
You could also serve fried cheese as a topping for a salad. A popular salad in France features mesclun mix topped with a vinaigrette and fried goat cheese. Un vrai delice!
The idea for this fried cheese recipe (and the sauces) comes from Cyril Lignac, a very popular chef here in France. Chef Lignac cultivates a media presence and he can be seen regularly on television in a variety of venues. He encourages people to cook for themselves using wholesome food, and his recipes are things we could all actually imagine making.
Brie pané avec ses deux sauces
Prep time: 25 min
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 pound Brie cheese
- oil for frying
- Place the flour and bread crumbs on separate plates. In a shallow bowl, use a fork to whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon water.
- Slice the Brie into about 24 bite-sized pieces.
- Dredge the cubes in the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip the cubes in the egg, turning to coat all sides. Finally, coat the cubes well by turning them about in the bread crumbs.
- You can prepare the Brie cubes up to this point and then refrigerate.
- To fry, heat about 1/8 inch of oil in a sturdy skillet on medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the cubes. Turn the cubes gently as each side browns. This goes quickly - total frying time is about two minutes. Careful not to over-fry as the cheese will start oozing out of the cubes.
- Drain the cubes on paper towel and serve immediately with the dipping sauces below.
- Makes about 24 appetizers bites.
Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.