Zucchini Pie Recipe
This easy zucchini pie recipe is made in the same manner as the legendary French apple tart known as a
Tarte Tatin. The filling is baked underneath the pastry layer and the whole thing is flipped to serve.
Tart Tatin Tips
You can try this recipe with other vegetables as well. Here are a few tips for success with making tart tatins, which can be either savory or sweet:
- Expect the tart to be somewhat moister then what you get when baking a tart the normal way. If you use tomatoes or other moist fruit or vegetable, drain them through a sieve to remove some of the liquid.
- If you use a cheese layer, make sure it is closest to the pastry and not the tart pan, where it risks to adhere in a most exasperating fashion.
- Flipping the tart while it is still warm, guarantees a good release.
- After it has been removed from the tart pan you can reheat the entire tart on a baking tray in a hot oven if you wish.
Tarte tatin aux courgettes
Makes 6 servings
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 medium zucchini, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds (if you look for even sized vegetables, you can get a nice looking finish on your tart)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1 round of puff pastry
Cook the onion in the olive oil on medium heat for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the zucchini and continue cooking and stirring just until the zucchini softens a little, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the seasonings and remove from heat. Allow to cool somewhat before attempting to assemble the tart.
Grease a 9 or 10 inch round baking pan. Place the zucchini slices in concentric circles on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with the onion. Break the goat cheese into small pieces and distribute evenly over the vegetables.
Cover the filling ingredients with the pastry, tucking in the edges around the vegetables. Bake at 400° F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before flipping onto a serving plate.
Here you will find some more recipes for Tarte Tatin, both sweet and savory.
Find more Zucchini Recipes.
Return to Easy Vegetable Recipes.