Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Easy Baked au Gratin Vegetables
This baked spaghetti squash recipe uses one of the most popular cooking methods used by French home cooks.
When you don't know what else to do with a vegetable, mix it with a few yummy ingredients, top it with cheese, and pop it in the oven until bubbly and golden. Au gratin is always a hit.
Vegetable Au Gratin Tips
- Cheese. Don't skimp on the cheese. Try using a high quality cheese on your au gratins. A cooked and pressed cheese like Beaufort or Cantal Cheese is an excellent choice. Learn more about French cheese.
- Seasonings. You can season this spaghetti squash recipe and other au gratins just about anyway you'd like. Try cumin, cinnamon, curry, or cayenne pepper, just to name a few.
- Additions: No reason to leave this recipe the way it is. Try adding bacon or ham or topping with ground nuts as well as the cheese. Au gratins invite experimentation.
- Au gratin dish. An au gratin should be baked in a shallow and large dish. That way the maximum surface area will get the coveted cheese topping.
- Kids. Au gratin recipes are a great way to get your kids involved in cooking. It is a proven fact that kids like to eat what they have cooked and shredding spaghetti squash is definitely fun.
Gratin de courge spaghetti
Makes about 6 side dish servings
- 1 spaghetti squash, about 4 pounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche or whipping cream
- 2 ounces shredded Gruyere or other cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Carefully wash and dry the squash. Slice off about an inch off of the ends. Balance it on one of the sliced off ends and then slice it through lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape out the fiber and seeds.
- Arrange the cut squash flesh side up on a baking sheet. Drizzle a little olive oil on each half and use a pastry brush to distribute the oil. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper. Bake for 40 minutes at 375°F (190°C).
- Remove the squash from the oven and allow it to to cool enough to handle easily. Use a fork to scrape up and shred the flesh into filaments (the spaghetti).
- Place the shredded flesh in a greased baking dish and stir together with the crème fraiche or whipping cream. Top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake another 15 minutes at 375°F (190°C).
Find more easy vegetable recipes.
Return to Easy Recipes for Kids.
Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.