Easy Rice Pudding
Recipe for Kids
Here's an easy rice pudding recipe, perfect for beginning cooks. Not only will you be making a delicious dessert popular all over the world, you will also be giving your body a healthy treat. Rice pudding is low in sugar compared to other desserts and gives you lots of needed calcium.
Rice Pudding Recipes Around the World
Rice pudding probably originated in Asia thousands of years ago, but you would have a hard time finding a country that doesn't boast their own version of this dessert. You will find it made with all sorts of rices and flavorings, including cardamom, cinnamon, ginger and lemon. It might be made with coconut milk or have cream added. You'll even find rice pudding with rose or orange flower water added.
In France, rice pudding is known as riz au lait. It is usually flavored simply with vanilla and perhaps a hint of cinnamon. If you want to make your rice pudding even fancier, you can add a handful of raisins or other dried fruit towards the end of the cooking time.
This easy rice pudding recipe requires you to pre-boil the rice for a short while in water. Be sure to have an adult assist you with draining the rice at this point. The steam that comes off of boiling water is exceedingly hot (hotter than the boiling water itself) and can easily burn you.
Riz au Lait
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Makes 6 servings
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cup pearl rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Boil a large pot of water and pour in rice. Allow to boil for two minutes. Drain rice (remember to get an adult to help you).
- Pour milk into a medium sized pot and place on medium heat. Stir in salt and bring to just below a boil.
- Pour the rice into the simmering milk and cook for twenty minutes on low heat stirring frequently so the rice doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Stir in the sugar mixing completely. Cook for another 5 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Spoon into individual serving cups and let cool.
- You can serve your rice pudding warm or cold.
Return to Easy Recipes for Kids.
The French might serve rice pudding with this vanilla flavored custard sauce recipe.
Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.