My son insists that I keep a jar of sweetened chestnut puree on the pantry shelf at all times. That way, we're ready when I whip up a batch of breakfast crepes, the perfect foil for this delicious spreadable treat.
Sweetened chestnut spread is a speciality of the department of Ardeche in the south east of France. It is made from chestnuts, pieces of candied chestnuts, sugar, glucose syrup, and vanilla.
The ingredients in chestnut spread are simple: chestnuts and sugar. Simple ingredients for simple people that know what tastes good, but don't want to waste a lot of time getting it on their plates.
The French put it on the breakfast table, right along with the baguette and orange juice.
If you prefer you can also find unsweetened chestnut puree.
Use sweetened chestnut puree . . .
- As a spread for crepes, croissants, brioche breads, toast, muffins, just about anything you can consider a bread. Try it on plainer tasting breads so that the chestnut flavor can shine through.
- As a super ingredient in cake and other dessert recipes. If you haven't tried this French yule log recipe, you don't know what your missing out on. It's so easy, a kid can make it, and so good, you'll want to eat it even if it isn't Christmas.
- As a topper: yummy just as it is with vanilla ice cream or plain yogurt, or make it into a glaze to top your favorite chocolate cake.
- Need a quick lift? Try a spoonful of chestnut spread to chase away the not-quite-time-for-lunch-need-a-nosh blues.
More Chestnut Products
Do you love chestnuts as much as we do? If so, don't stop here. There are many other wonderful chestnut products for you to try.
- Chestnut flour: Use this as an ingredient in cakes and breads.
- Marrons Glacés: Those are candied chestnuts and are the holiday treat in France.
- Roasted Chestnuts: Chestnuts are a sensational ingredient in many savory dishes as well. By using canned chestnuts you'll be able to easily make such dishes as chestnut stuffing and chestnut soup.
Return to Gourmet Cooking Supplies.
Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.