- 16 ounces ready made pizza dough
- 2 pounds onions
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried herbes de Provence
- 2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 ounces oil packed anchovies (about 21 total)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 12 Nicoise olives (or equivalent)
- Oven. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Prepare onions. Cut the onions in half and peel them. Slice the halves thinly.
- Cook onions. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil on medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onions and sprinkle with the herbs, sugar, and freshly ground pepper. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are limp and begin to color (about 10 minutes).
- Add anchovies and garlic. Add 5 anchovies and the crushed garlic. Cook stirring continually until the anchovies "melt" and blend with the onion mixture (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Fit dough to pan. Roll out the pizza dough to fit a 9 X 13 inch baking tray or equivalent (you can make a round pissaladière if you prefer).
- Top with ingredients. Use a pastry brush to lightly oil the top of the dough with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Top with the onion mixture. Arrange the remaining anchovies in a crisscross pattern on top of the onions and decorate with the olives.
- Bake. Bake pizza for 15 to 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Serve either warm or cold.
Makes 12 modest servings.