Coq au Vin Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes-
Cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- One chicken, cut into pieces or 6 to 8 pieces chicken
- 20 pearl onions, or 2 onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter + 2 more
- 1/2 bottle dry, robust red wine
- 1 bouquet garni (or 1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs)
- 2 gloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 pound mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt and pepper
- Cook onions. Peel the pearl onions and leave as they are. Alternatively, peel and sliver the regular sized onions. In a Dutch oven or other sturdy cooking vessel, heat the olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter on medium heat until the butter melts. Cook the onions on medium heat until they start to soften or about 7 minutes.
- Brown chicken. Add the chicken pieces and cook until browned on all sides. This takes about 5 minutes per side and you may have to do it in two batches. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.
- Add other ingredients. Add the bouquet garni or mixed herbs, the garlic and the red wine.
- Simmer. Cover, turn down the heat, and let simmer for one hour.
- Cook mushrooms separately. Meanwhile melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium sized skillet on low heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly browned (about 10 minutes).
- Add mushrooms. Add the cooked mushrooms to the chicken at one hour and continue cooking the chicken about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Thicken sauce. To thicken the sauce, about 10 minutes before serving, mix the flour in a small bowl with several tablespoons of the sauce. Continue adding sauce to form a smooth liquid and mix this back into the chicken.
Slow Cooker Coq au Vin Recipe
This recipe is perfectly adaptable to a slow cooker. Begin by following the directions for browning the onions and chicken, then transfer everything to the crock pot. Pour on the wine and add the other ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
30 minutes or so before serving, slice and pan fry the mushrooms in butter for 10 minutes and stir them into the stew.
Thicken the sauce using flour as described in the main recipe.