- 4 medium eggplants (approximately 750 grams or 1.6 pounds)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, grated
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 100 grams or 3.5 ounces salted anchovies fillets, chopped
- Flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- A pinch of fresh or dried rosemary
- Olive oil
- Turn the oven on to the grill setting and highest temperature.
- Cut the eggplants in half, lengthwise. Scrape out the meat with a spoon, but leave approximately half a centimeter or 1/4 inch of the meat. Reserve the meat.
- Sprinkle with salt, brush with olive oil, put in an ovenproof dish and grill until lightly browned, approximately ten minutes.
- Remove and turn down the oven to normal setting, 200°C (400°F).
- Meanwhile, finely chop the eggplant meat and fry in olive oil with the onions and garlic. Add the grated tomatoes, the herbs and salt. Let simmer until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from the heat and add the anchovies and the breadcrumbs. Mix. Add the filling to the eggplant. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with a salad on the side, or as a side dish to lamb or beef.
Easy French Food http://easy-french-food.com