Tarte aux fraises
- 1 uncooked tart crust (pâte brisée or you could use a commercial pie dough)
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds strawberries, washed, dried and stemmed
- 3 tablespoons currant jelly
- Fit the pâte brisée or pie dough to a 10 inch tart pan if you have one, otherwise a pie pan will work fine. Prick the bottom of the pie shell with a fork in several places. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes as the oven warms. Cook for 15 minutes at 400°F.
- Meanwhile, prepare a custard (crème pâtissière) with the other ingredients. Warm the milk over medium heat and stir in half of the sugar.
- In a heavy glass bowl, beat the egg yolks with the rest of the sugar until they are light and thick. Whisk in the corn startch. Then, slowly whisk in the hot milk and pour it all back into the pan.
- Continue heating until almost boiling and the cream has thickened, whisking continually. Remove from heat and stir in the butter.
- Let the custard cool completely than spread it in the cooled pie shell. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, cut the strawberries in half and place them cut-side up on top of the pie. Make a glaze with the currant jelly and two tablespoons of water. Apply the glaze to the strawberries with a pastry brush.
Makes 6-8 servings.