- 3 pounds potatoes
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- mixed dried herbs
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere (or subsitute Swiss cheese)
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them thinly (use a food processor or a potato slicer to save time).
- Warm the cream, milk, garlic, and nutmeg until simmering (about five minutes). Remove from heat and remove garlic.
- Butter the bottom and sides of an oven-proof baking dish (9 X 13 inch works well). Place a single layer of potatoes on bottom of dish, sprinkle with salt and pepper, herbs, and two to three tablespoons of cheese (you want to end up with a cup of cheese for the top layer). Continue layering until you run out of potatoes and end with one cup of cheese sprinkled on top.
- Pour the warmed cream mixture over the top and jiggle the dish a bit to get the liquid to spread throughout.
- Bake at 375° for one hour. Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving.
Easy French Food //easy-french-food.com