Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound eggplant, sliced in rounds
- 1 pound zucchini, sliced in rounds
- 1 pound bell peppers, sliced
- 1 pound tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- olive oil
- bay leaf
- thyme sprig
- salt and pepper
4 to 6 servings
- Wash and slice all of the vegetables. To peel the tomatoes drop them in boiling water for about 10 seconds and use a sharp paring knife to help slip off the peel.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the sliced eggplant and cook, turning occasionally for five minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and remove the eggplant from the skillet.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet and add the zucchini slices. Cook for about five minutes, turning occasionally, then season with salt and pepper and remove from the skillet.
- Repeat the procedure for the bell peppers.
- Heat 2 more tablespoons olive oil in a Dutch oven on medium heat and add the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the pre-cooked vegetables: eggplant, zucchini, and bell peppers. Stir to combine and then add the bay leaf and thyme. Cover and cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the garlic and salt and pepper if needed and cook covered for another 10 minutes.