- 1 roll of puff pastry dough or use a homemade pie crust
8 ounces lean bacon (or use lardons if you can get them)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups crème fraîche or whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup diced Gruyère, Emmental, or Swiss cheese
- Begin by blind baking the tart shell. Fit the pastry dough to a 10 inch tart pan, pressing it firmly to the edges and bottom of the pan. Use a rolling pin to roll over the top and pinch off any extra dough. Prick the tart shell in dozens of places with the tines of a fork, then place the tart pan in the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Remove the well chilled tart shell from the freezer and immediately place it in the hot oven to bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Slice the bacon in 1/4 by 1 inch strips and fry in a small skillet on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs with the crème fraîche or whipping cream just until blended. Whisk in the nutmeg and a pinch or two of salt and pepper.
- Evenly spread the diced cheese and the cooked bacon on the bottom of the cooled tart shell. Pour the beaten eggs and cream on top of this. Carefully place the tart pan in the oven.
- Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Easy French Food //easy-french-food.com