- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Using a sharp knife, cut the butter into about 50 small pieces.
- Place the flour and salt in a food processor equipped with a blade and mix together - about 10 seconds.
- Add the butter and pulse on high in 1 second pulses until the mixture looks like coarse meal. For my food processor, this is 15 1 second pulses. I count.
- With the food processor running, immediately begin pouring the cold water in the chute. Stop the food processor as soon as the water is added and the dough begins to clump together. The whole process of adding the water takes less than 10 seconds.
- Turn the mixture out onto a clean surface and gather the dough into a ball. Flatten the ball into an even edged disc.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling out and fitting to tart pan.
- To blind bake the crust, fit it to the tart pan, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 200°C and bake for 15 minutes or until golden. If you are going to bake the crust further with ingredients in it (as for a quiche recipe), just bake for 12 minutes.
Yield: Makes 1 ten inch tart or quiche crust.
Pâte Brisée Sucrée
Add two tablespoons of sugar in with the flour and salt. Otherwise the recipe is exactly the same.