Frites au Four
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (fleur de sel is great for this)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- other seasonings to your taste (optional): cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, herbes de provence
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- If you use thin skinned potatoes for your fries, you won't have to peel them! Just give them a scrub and slice them up. Otherwise, peel them before slicing.
- You can slice the potatoes however you wish. Slender fries like what you get using a French fry cutter will cook faster than chunky wedges, but either will work with this recipe.
- Once they are sliced, place the potatoes in a large bowl. Pour on the vegetable oil and sprinkle on the seasonings. Use a large spoon to completely mix and evenly coat the potatoes with oil and seasonings.
- Spread the potatoes on a non-stick cookie sheet. Make sure that none of the slices are touching each other. You may need two cookie sheets to fit them all.
- Place them in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Stir and turn the fries once as they are cooking. (Watch out when you open the oven door the first time - a lot of steam will come out.)
- If you are using thicker slices, you may need to bake them a bit more. Just keep testing.
- When they are cooked through, turn the heat up on the oven to 450° F and bake them for another 5 minutes. This final blast of heat will help make them a little crispy.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy.
Makes 4 servings.
Easy French Food //easy-french-food.com