Preparation time: 15 minutes (a little longer if you are using fresh spinach that needs to be cleaned)
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1 onion
- 2 potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup half and half
- salt and pepper
- optional toppings: croutons, Parmesan cheese, vinegar or lemon juice
- If you are using frozen spinach, remember to defrost it several hours before you begin preparing the soup. If you are using fresh spinach, remove any tough stems or ribs and wash carefully.
- Peel and chop the onion. Peel and dice the potatoes in 1/2 inch cubes.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are soft - about 6 minutes.
- Add the diced potatoes and the chicken or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat so the soup is at a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are quite tender.
- Add the spinach and cook 5 more minutes. Use a blender to puree the soup, then return the soup to the saucepan on medium heat. (When using the blender be sure to never fill it more than half way and have your hand firmly on the lid before you blend.)
- Stir in the half and half and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat through and then serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Easy French Food //easy-french-food.com