Quiche au crabe
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 30 minutes
- 1 round puff pastry or other pie dough
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced leeks (approximately 2 medium sized leeks)
- 2 8 ounce cans canned crab meat, drained
- 3 ounces shredded cheese - Gruyère, Emmental, or Swiss
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups crème fraiche (or substitute whipping cream, half and half, or part milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Begin by blind baking the crust. Line a 10 inch tart pan with the pastry dough, pushing it firmly to the bottom and sides. Prick in several dozen places with the tines of a fork. Place the crust in the freezer for at least 20 minutes. When it is well chilled, place the crust in a preheated oven (400°F) to bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before adding other ingredients.
- Melt the butter and oil in a medium sized skillet on low-medium heat. Add the leeks and cook until the leeks are soft (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently. Don't brown the leeks. Stir in the drained crab meat and remove skillet from heat.
- Whisk together the eggs, crème fraîche (or substitute), and salt and pepper until combined.
- Spread the cooked leeks and crab in the bottom of the baked tart shell. Sprinkle with cheese, then pour on the egg mixture.
- Bake in 400°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Crab and artichoke quiche. Replace the cooked leeks with 1 small jar of drained and chopped artichoke hearts.
Crab and asparagus quiche. Replace the leeks with 12 ounces of asparagus. Slice the asparagus into 1 1/2 inch lengths and steam for five minutes or just until tender. Follow the rest of the recipe as is.
Easy French Food http://easy-french-food.com