2. Meanwhile melt the butter in a large skillet and cook the onions on low to medium heat for five minutes, or until softened.
3. Stir in the sausage meat and use a wooden spoon to break it apart. Brown sausage until cooked through, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in the apple and cook another five minutes.
5. Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and stir in the chestnuts and the bread crumbs. Mix thoroughly.
6. Stir in the chicken broth and wine.
7. You can either stuff your favorite bird with this chestnut dressing or you can bake it in a separate baking dish (about 20 minutes at 350° will heat it through). If you decide to make it ahead of time, store separately in the refrigerator (not inside the bird, which risks to be unhygienic.)
Makes 8 cups