Gratin Du Barry
Prep time: 25 min -
Bake time: 15 min
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 quarts chicken bouillon
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1 egg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup (about 3 ounces) grated cheese (Gruyère or Swiss)
Makes 6 servings.
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower, slice it in half, then slice off florets from the stem. Discard the leaves and stem.
- Peel the potatoes and slice in 1/2 inch cubes.
- Bring the bouillon to a boil and add the cauliflower florets and the cubed potatoes. Boil the vegetables until they are tender - about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and strain.
Place the vegetables in a food processor and process until smooth. Alternatively you can use a stainless steel food mill to puree the vegetables. Stir in the mascarpone cheese, crushed garlic, egg, pepper and nutmeg until blended.
- Spread the puree in a greased 1 1/2 to 2 quart baking dish and top with the grated cheese.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
Easy French Food http://easy-french-food.com