Gratin d'aubergines à la tomate
Preparation: 20 minutes (not counting salting time for the eggplant)
Total Baking: 35 minutes
- 2 1/2 pounds eggplant
- 2 teaspoons rock salt
- 2 pounds tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon herbs de Provence
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 ounces gruyère cheese (about 1 cup when shredded)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Peel and slice the eggplant in 1/2 inch rounds. In a large bowl toss them with the salt. Lay the rounds out on several layers of paper towel and leave like this for at least 30 minutes, turning once.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Pour one tablespoon of olive oil onto two 12x18 inch baking trays and use a pastry brush to coat the trays evenly with oil.
- Thoroughly wipe the salt and moisture off of the eggplant slices with clean paper towel. Place the slices on the oiled trays and turn once, moving the slices about a bit to sop up all the oil. Place the trays in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the eggplant is tender.
- Meanwhile wash and slice the tomatoes in 1/4 inch slices.
- Coat the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish with a little olive oil. Place half of the pre-baked eggplant slices in the dish, top with half of the tomato slices. Sprinkle the tomato slices with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, 1/2 tablespoon herbs de Provence, and a little garlic powder, salt and pepper. Repeat the eggplant and tomato layers one more time.
- Finish by topping the casserole with the shredded cheese and finally the chopped parsley. Bake at 400°F (200°C) until golden brown - about 20 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.