- 1 clove garlic (and certainly more if you wish)
- 2 pinches salt (I like French sea salt in this)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or other combination of oils. See recipe notes for recommendations on this)
- Cut the ends off of the garlic, peel it, and either chop it or put it through a garlic press.
- Put the garlic in a mortar and pestle with the salt and grind it into a paste.
- In a heavy mixing bowl (one that won't scoot across the counter as you're mixing with one hand and pouring with the other), whisk (you can use an electric whisk) the egg yolks, lemon juice, and garlic mixture together until well combined, about one minute.
Start adding the olive oil, drop by drop, whisking all the while. You can add it a bit faster as you go along, but as with mayonnaise, the key to success is going very slowly at the start. When you are done adding the oil you can adjust the seasoning as suits your taste.
- This makes 1 cup - maybe you should double the recipe, it is so good.
Easy French Food //easy-french-food.com