Braised Fennel Recipe
This braised fennel recipe is called fenouil compoté
in France. Despite its simplicity, this makes a marvelous accompaniement to poultry, fish or pork dishes. Before trying this dish, you may like to learn a little more about Florence fennel by having a look at this page on preparing fennel
Compotée de fenouil
- 4 fennel bulbs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup white wine
- salt and pepper
- Cut the tops and bottoms off of the fennel bulbs. Remove the two outer leaves (which you will notice are quitetough) and rinse the bulb well under running water. Cut it in 1/2 inch wide slices.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a skillet and add the fennel and onion. Cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the white wine, cover the skillet, leaving it just slightly open.
- Cook on low heat for about 20 minutes or until the fennel is soft and mellow.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if you wish.
Return to Easy Vegtable Recipes
. Explore other Fennel Recipes